What do I do if a bee or wasp stings my dog?
Bee and wasp stings are very painful for your dog, but they generally are a minor injury that you can treat yourself.
What are the symptoms?
Swelling is usually the main symptom. This can especially happen on the muzzle of the dog if it gets stung on the face. Your dog may also be yelping in pain or pawing at the sting site.
What should I do?
First, you want to get the stinger out if it was a bee. Go get some tweezers and try to see if it's still in the dog. Look for the swollen area or around where the dog seems to be aggravated. Sometimes the stinger may not be there, as it will have been pulled out already. You need to check, though, because getting it out will keep more venom from pumping into your dog. If it was a wasp, they don't leave a stinger.
Second, you need to watch your dog closely for symptoms of an allergic reaction for at least 24 hours. Like people, some dogs are allergic to bee or wasp stings. Watch for extreme swelling, trouble breathing, or disorientation. If you see any of this, or if it just seems serious, take the dog to the vet.
Third, you should be applying ice packs to the site of the sting on the dog. This will keep the swelling and pain down. Leave them on for about 5 or 6 minutes and then take them off for a bit, then repeat.
Back to Pet Questions Page
Back to Flea Control Guide Main Page
Text copyright 2005-2006 Fleascontrol.com and may not be reproduced without consent. This is not the official web page of any of the products listed on this site, this is a review page created by an individual. It is not by a vet, and is meant to be informative and not to substitute for a vet's advice - always consult a vet if you suspect a health problem.