What plants are poisonous to cats?

Many people don't know or realize this, but a lot of common houseplants are poison for cats if they eat them. This can be a big problem because many cats like to chew on plants - they dangle down like a toy, and cats in the wild eat grass to help their digestive systems. So you have to watch out and make sure your house plants are safe for your cats. Which ones should you watch out for?

   

General Flea Tipsheet

pictures of fleas

flea bites

Pet Questions

Pet Product Reviews

 

Lilies - This is one of the more common ones that causes severe problems for cat-owners. You should not have lilies anywhere the cat can get at them - and preferably not in the house. Even small amounts of lily can kill a cat - it causes severe kidney damage. They'll start to act lethargic, will vomit, and be sick within a few hours. You really don't want these around the house if you have cats.

Azaleas - They have neurotoxins that can affect the cat in a number of ways - vomiting, lack of coordination, weakness, and in severe cases a coma.

Caladium - A common house plant, this is toxic to cats and can cause a lot of orally-based symptoms - vomiting, drooling, and difficulty swallowing.

Mistletoe - The berries are bad for cats, and cause vomiting, blistering, and breathing problems.

These are just some of the most common ones people tend to have in their houses. There is a comprehensive list of all the plants potentially toxic to cats here. There are really a lot of plants that could be bad for them - so if you've got big gardens or lots of indoor plants, take a look to make sure you're safe.

What do I do if my cat ate a plant and acts sick?

Take your cat to the vet immediately. There are usually 24/7 emergency clinics in most areas. If you're panicking, dial 411 and get directions. Bring the plant with you so the vet can identify it.

Back to Pet Questions Page

Back to Flea Control Guide Main Page

Text copyright 2005-2006 Fleascontrol.com and may not be reproduced without consent. This is not the official web page of any of the products listed on this site, this is a review page created by an individual. It is not by a vet, and is meant to be informative and not to substitute for a vet's advice - always consult a vet if you suspect a health problem.