What plants are poisonous to dogs?

There are a lot of common plants people have as houseplants or in their back yards that can be toxic to your dog if it eats them. Dogs sometimes nibble on plants, and it's hard to know whether your dog will have that habit. It's better to just keep poisonous plants away from your dog in the first place.

   

General Flea Tipsheet

pictures of fleas

flea bites

Pet Questions

Pet Product Reviews

 

Common Plants Toxic To Dogs:

Aloe Vera - Can cause vomiting, lack of appetite, tremors

Avocado - Vomiting, diarrhea, death.

Daffodils - Severe stomach problems, shivering, heart problems.

Iris - Vomiting, abdominal pains.

Morning Glory - hallucinations, diarrhea.

Tulips - Vomiting, depression, diarrhea.

These are the most common ones that people usually have - but any time you're getting a new plant, it's recommended that you check it against a comprehensive list. There are quite a few lists of poisonous plants around for you to look at. There's one from the ASPCA here and one from the Animal Poison Control Center here.

What do I do if my dog has eaten a poisonous plant?

If your dog has eaten a plant that you think is poisonous, take it to the vet immediately. BRING THE PLANT WITH YOU - it will make it easier for the vet to identify it. If it's a big potted plant or something, just bring a cutting or portion of it. Also be aware that you can induce vomiting in a dog if you're got hydrogen peroxide. Mix it up with water, about 5% hydrogen peroxide and 95% water, and make your dog drink a few teaspoons every ten minutes until it vomits. That's really only a backup solution for if something happens at 3 am or if you live out in the country, and it's only going to do anything if you do it within a few hours of the dog eating the plant.

Back to Pet Questions Page

Back to Flea Control Guide Main Page

Text copyright 2005-2006 Fleascontrol.com and may not be reproduced without consent. This is not the official web page of any of the products listed on this site, this is a review page created by an individual. It is not by a vet, and is meant to be informative and not to substitute for a vet's advice - always consult a vet if you suspect a health problem.