What is salmon poisoning in dogs?

If dogs eat RAW SALMON, then they can get poisoned from it by a microscopic organism called rickettsia. Rickettsia are a unique kind of bacteria that acts sort of like a virus - they live inside cells of the host organism, rather than independently. This disease is found not in the salmon, but in little flatworms that are inside the salmon. These worms get into the dog's digestive system after eating the salmon, and the dog gets the rickettsia from the worms. This does NOT happen from processed salmon or the stuff you get in dog food based on it. Dogs who are at risk are those who are fed raw salmon by people who catch one fishing, or dogs who are allowed to roam while hiking near a river and who find dead salmon nearby.

   

General Flea Tipsheet

pictures of fleas

flea bites

Pet Questions

Pet Product Reviews

 

What are the symptoms of salmon poisoning?

Within about a week of eating the fish, the dog will suddenly lose its appetite and act lethargic. A few days later, you may see fever, vomiting, and diarrhea, and the feces may be yellow. IT IS VERY DANGEROUS TO THE DOG. Your dog will not get well if you don't take it to the vet - in fact, nearly all dogs who are untreated will die. Your vet can give antibiotics to the dog as well as keep it hydrated, and this will improve the chances of surviving dramatically. Do not wait if you suspect your dog has this, go to the vet immediately.

How can I prevent my dog from getting poisoned from salmon?

Do not feed your dog raw fish under any circumstances. Thoroughly cook any fish you've caught first - this isn't like hunting where you can give the dog pieces of your catch. Do not let your dog wander away from you when walking next to any body of water.

Back to Pet Questions Page

Back to Flea Control Guide Main Page

Text copyright 2005-2006 Fleascontrol.com and may not be reproduced without consent. This is not the official web page of any of the products listed on this site, this is a review page created by an individual. It is not by a vet, and is meant to be informative and not to substitute for a vet's advice - always consult a vet if you suspect a health problem.